Sunday, October 14, 2012

@ the Movies 2012 - Mental

I wanted to like this movie so much, I heard great things about the movie and then I went online and read some reviews after viewing it and I have to agree with the other reviews. Mental on paper sounds good, but with too many plot lines and Toni Collette playing one or more of her United States of Tara characters I felt this movie was a little half baked.
The dream team behind the hit "Muriel's Wedding" had tried a bit of if it worked years ago it will work again in 2012. I really love supporting local music, local movies and TV but lately the latter two have been so disappointing. Kath & Kim's film debut was easily one of the WORST movies of 2012, House Husbands, Packed to the Rafters and Puberty Blues have all bee SAFE & lame viewing in 2012.
I think this movie aimed high but just failed to deliver, with multiple guests, multiple plots, multiple sagas all in one film, it had to be one hell of a film, unfortunately it wasn't.

2012 for me in Australian cinema has been the year of the Sapphires, Mental might just be one of those forgotten Australian films.

Okay so now it's time for the rating and you can't deny there is some strong actors in this film but the movie just doesn't gel, 2 stars for Toni Collette and the gang trying hard @ a mission impossible.

No comments: