Monday, June 17, 2019

(Not at the) Cinema Slut #2019 - Always Be My Maybe


I was desperate to watch this over the June long weekend but got caught up on my USA Summer series, other Netflix stuff whilst not to mention rediscovering Stan.

However this weekend gone (ahead of Melbourne AKA Australia All Over Part II for Autumn/Winter 2019) I finally found the joy of Always Be My Maybe.

Now like recent Netflix films, would this be worth the price of a cinema ticket?



Yes and no. It felt like it was a little to close to trying to remain PG/family friendly when it could have gone from Adults Only comedy. Much like Wong's Netflix stand ups maybe she should pick a lane.

That was my only issue with Crazy Rich Asians, the film starred so many Adult comedy stars, that the PG rating at times held it back. I understand that was for box office success, however Always Be My Maybe does not need that box office figure.

There are so many moments of joy in this film, however the laughs are a little light, but when they arrive, it's Wong and Park's outstanding delivery.

Wong and Park have a real spark on screen whilst the inclusion of Keanu Reeves is a win for the filmmakers the joke passes faster than his screen presence.

Daniel Dae Kim is so easy on the eye, however I feel the Brandon character does not get the development it deserves. There could have been more humour there.

I sound like I am being hard on the film, maybe because I had huge expectations with my favourites Wong and Park in lead roles.

It is great seeing different faces as leads, Wong is outstanding and Park really is handsome AF. By far the best Netflix film I have watched thus far, 3.75 Stars. Almost 4 but there was just a consistency issue when it came to the laughs..

No comments: