Monday, June 6, 2022

The Masked Cinema 2022 - Top Gun: Maverick

Don't hate me! I ain't never seen, Top Gun! I know right, I loved the movies, but in 1986, I was four.

So, one day I will catch up on the OG, for now it's time to check in with the world's number one film, Top Gun: Maverick.


Directed by Joseph Kosinski and written by Ehren Kruger, Eric Warren Singer, and Christopher McQuarrie, Maverick, serves as a legacy sequel to Top Gun (1986). 

Starring Tom Cruise as Captain Pete "Maverick" Mitchell, Miles Teller (getting more handsome by the minute), Jennifer Connelly (Snowpiercer), Jon Hamm, Glen Powell, Lewis Pullman, Ed Harris, and Val Kilmer. 

Set 36 years after its predecessor, it follows Maverick's return to the United States Navy Strike Fighter Tactics Instructor program (also known as "Top Gun"), where he must confront his past as he trains a group of younger fighter pilots, among them the son of Maverick's deceased best friend Goose.

Top Gun: Maverick was theatrically released on May 27, 2022, by Paramount Pictures. 

It will also be released on Paramount+ , but not within the typical window of 45 days after its theatrical release.

The film received widespread critical acclaim, with many deeming it superior to its predecessor.The film has grossed almost $548 million worldwide, making it the fourth highest-grossing film of 2022 (as of 6/6/22).

I really did enjoy this, even though I had never seen the 1986 original. Cruise still looks similar to footage from the OG that screens through the sequel. Miles Teller is a gem on screen whilst Jennifer Connelly is excellent as the love interest.

The action sequences, flights and mission (impossible - see what I did there) are awesome. I enjoyed this a load more than I expected to. It was also a break from all the crazy TV landing at present. From Stranger Things, to The Boys returning, P-Valley also landing a few days early and more Star Wars TV than ever before.

It was great to return to the cinema for a monster, popcorn, action picture. A great effort, 4 stars. Yes I was impressed!

No comments: