Monday, September 2, 2024

Post Strike Cinema 24' - The Crow (2024 film)

The Crow is a cult classic film I have never seen before. Full disclosure. So I went into the 2024 gothic superhero remake, directed by Rupert Sanders .

The reboot of The Crow film series, it is the fifth film in the franchise, and is the second film, after the 1994 film, to adapt the 1989 comic book series by James O'Barr.

Starring Bill SkarsgÄrd as Eric / The Crow, a man who is resurrected to avenge the deaths of himself and his girlfriend, played by FKA Twigs. Yes the legendary, Two Weeks singer! And man she looks young in this film. That said she is 36, 6 years my junior!

The film is exceptionally violent, the last twenty minutes or so is pure blood, blood and even some black blood for good measure.


The film never outstays its welcome, clocking in at under 2 hours, moving through the plot thick and fast. From the fast, deep, strong love of Eric/The Crow and Shelly.

The violence becomes a little much by the end of the film, with a big climax you could see a mile off.

I feel like this was totally a short story turned into a long form film.

I didn't hate it, but I have nothing to compare this with. Never seeing the OG 1994 cult classic, I was blind to the obsession with the original film.

This wasn't the worst film I have seen this year. But in saying that, it also wasn't the best film I have seen this year. It has been a mixed bag of films in 2024, however after a huge day/weekend in Singapore of Universal Studios, Les Mills Live and way too much walking/shopping. I needed to just chill out and enjoy the air con and an easy to watch film.

OK, so for my star rating. I can't fail or pass this. 2 stars feels too little, but fair, however FKA Twigs is an artist I have loved for years.

So let me just get it over the pass mark, 2.5 Stars for the 2024 The Crow remake.

No comments: