Saturday, September 19, 2020

#COVID-19 CATCH UP TV - I May Destroy You

 I May Destroy You was only released early in June this year, however June and the start of winter 2020 seems a lifetime ago.

So this HBO/BBC One drama is heavy, whilst being light at the same time. Any story about sexual abuse is going to be full one, however Michaela Coel as Arabella Essiedu delivers a personalised account of her own experience of sexual assault.

I May Destroy You is one hell of a road, from Italy back to Coel's London, it approaches the topic of sexual abuse head on. Not to mention her good gay friends Kwame's own experience.

The show examines the impact of social media on our everyday life and dealing with trauma.

If you are looking for a light watch this is 100% not for you. It's brutal, raw and real. The music however (particularly in a throwback to Arabella at school) is exceptional.

I'm not sure whether this is meant to be binged or watch over a period of time. It was aired week to week on both HBO/BBC One. I almost feel like it was a bit too much to take in, in one week (or it could have been less) like I did.

If you have Binge or Foxtel (drama pack or something else) you can seem I May Destroy You now. It's well worth a look at how a night out can go so badly.

Until next time.

No comments: