Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Film Freak 2011 - Snowtown

It's been a while since I have seen an Aussie film and well did this one pack a punch. Snowtown by some has been called this year's Animal Kingdom, but Animal Kingdom it is not, that film was terrific but also didn't make crime seem all that bad. Snowtown in parts made me feel sick (maybe it was the Watson's Bay Fish & Chips) or maybe it was just the torture scene, you'll know the one if you've seen it.

The movie does not try and be anything it's not and is a real gutsy true crime story that shocked me to the core.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed it (well the bits I could watch without hiding) but some parts were just too shocking for words.

The relatively unknown cast did well but the one slip up in this true event piece was a rego sticker on the card marked 2011 which didn't sit well with me.

However for an Aussie film this is a triumph and a great effort. A shocking crime and truly shocking actions equalled a solid effort, Snowtown rates 3 stars.

No comments: