Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Stay in da House Cinema 2023 - Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery

Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery is the sequel to the 2019 film Knives Out,. So back in my Cinema Slut days, I gave the OG 3.5 Stars.

Daniel Craig returns as master detective Benoit Blanc, this time heading to a fancy Greek island during COVID times. Did we really need a COVID murder mystery?

This time Benoit Blanc takes on a new case revolving around tech billionaire Miles Bron (Edward Norton, remember him) and Bron's closest friends. 

The friends includes Janelle Monáe, Kathryn Hahn, Leslie Odom Jr., Jessica Henwick, Madelyn Cline, Kate Hudson, plus Dave Bautista.

For me Janelle Monáe & Kate Hudson are the easy standouts.

Netflix began streaming the film just before Christmas. This followed a short run at the cinema while Avatar was dominating session times.

Like its predecessor, Glass Onion received critical acclaim, with reviewers praising Johnson's screenplay and direction, the performances of the cast, and musical score. 

It was named one of the top ten films of 2022 by the National Board of Review, while receiving two nominations at the 80th Golden Globe Awards: Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy and Best Actor in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy for Craig.


I enjoyed this in my two sittings (yes it's over two hours in running time), I could have enjoyed it more in the cinema, but if a film is offered up free within your monthly Netflix fee, would you head to the crowded shopping centres, or just watch this in two sittings at whatever times suit you best? My times were way outside cinema playing times.

I enjoyed the twists and turns of this film. Janelle Monáe was outstanding (as usual) and right here, right now, I will be giving no spoilers for this whodunnit.

There are some stabs are my favourite childhood film/board-game Clue, while the political references, masks and COVID plot lines were a little annoying.

However all in all, this really was one of the best Netflix films I have watched to date. Saying that I am going for another 3.5 star rating to kick off 2023.

Hopefully 2023 will be better for cinema, both in the cinema and at home.

No comments: