Saturday, July 27, 2019

Cinema Slut #2019 - Aladdin (2019 film)


I have had reservations about these Disney live remakes, I missed Dumbo on purpose and now 4 out of 5 of the top grossing films of 2019 are Disney films.

Aladdin starts off with Will Smith telling a tale and almost from that moment I knew I was not going to love this remake.

I saw the wonderful musical of Aladdin a few years back in Melbourne and enjoyed it, it was magical while having more special shiny effects than the much bigger Disney musical, The Lion King, but on film, I think I prefer the cartoon.



Robin Williams would always be tough to out Genie and in the musical the Genie makes the entire show, in the movie Will Smith kind of just looks outta place.

Some scenes are bright and beautiful while Mena Massoud and Naomi Scott as Aladdin and Jasmine respectively are fine, however in a well known tale, the chemistry is not really there.

The big and well known songs pop whilst DJ Khaled teams up with Smith for a remix of a Friend Like Me. Zayn Malik featuring Zhavia Ward also released a cover of a Whole New World.

Look I remember playing the Aladdin game on my Sega Mega Drive so I most likely enjoyed the film, but this was a bit forgettable.

It's a little sad people are now growing up with carbon copies of movies from the 90's, I really hope we do get some more original stories soon.

I will pass this but will likely no give The Lion King a miss. 2.5 Stars.

No comments: