Tuesday, April 19, 2022

The Masked Cinema 2022 - Morbius

Morbius is my Thailand (well Phuket to be exact) film of choice this Easter holiday season.

Up until now the film has grossed over $146 million against a $75–83 million budget, making it the ninth highest-grossing film of 2022. Which for me says the bar is hella low in 2022. What did I think of the 9th highest grossing film of 2022? See below the trailer....


I had never heard of this Marvel Comics character Morbius, the Living Vampire. The film was produced by Columbia Pictures in association with Marvel. 

Distributed by Sony Pictures Releasing, it is the third film in Sony's Spider-Man Universe (SSU). Starring Jared Leto as Dr. Michael Morbius, alongside Matt Smith, Adria Arjona, Jared Harris, Al Madrigal, and Tyrese Gibson. 

The plot is thin, basically its Morbius becomes a living vampire after curing himself of a rare disease. While his friend (also with the same disease) becomes the villain.

The film received negative reviews from critics, who criticised the story, performances, and visual effects. I will join that chorus of negative reviews. The first Venom was bad, second one improved, however this was bad. Like real bad. From the session times in Australia/Thailand I do not consider this film a hit of 2022.

Bring on Lost City I say. I was completely underwhelmed. Stick around though for a cameo from one of the OG Batman's (I got Batman vibes from this film, see it and you will understand) Michael Keaton.

1.5 Stars.

No comments: