Monday, October 10, 2022

The Masked Cinema 2022 - Smile

Kevin Bacon's daughter, Sosie Bacon is the lead in the latest film currently playing at a cinema near you. Smile landed either last week or the week before playing the horror fans while in my session a bunch of under 15 year old's were kicked out for not having photo ID on them. It took me back to when I saw the OG Scream film back at Erina Fair, having to provide photo ID.

Based on his 2020 short film Laura Hasn't Slept, has Bacon as a therapist who, after witnessing the bizarre suicide of a patient, goes through increasingly disturbing and daunting experiences, leading her to believe what she is experiencing is supernatural. 

Alongside Bacon, Jessie T. Usher, Kyle Gallner, Caitlin Stasey, Kal Penn, and Rob Morgan also star.

Originally set for a streaming release through Paramount+ (my subscription just expired before getting to watch Yellowjackets - BOO!), however the studio opted to release the film theatrically after strong positive test screenings. 

The film received mostly positive reviews from critics, who praised the jumpscares, production values, and Bacon's performance, though some noted the similarities to other horror media, such as It Follows and The Ring.


I did find it a little predictable, with spoiler alert, no real explanation of what caused the smile. I left feeling like horror has really been a little overdone in 2022. With TV series, films and life in general all having horror elements on the daily.

I can't say this was my favourite horror film of 2022 nor film of 2022. I will pass it though as it did give me the odd jump scare. 2.5 Stars. Sosie Bacon one to watch!

No comments: