Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Return to Cinema 2021 - Minari

Minari (Korean: 미나리, lit. 'water dropwort', [minaɾi]) is simply delightful. Honestly this makes me want to fight for the survival of cinema. Seeing this beautiful movie on the big screen is an experience I hope generations to come can also experience.

Starring Glenn from the Walking Dead, AKA Steven Yeun, Han Ye-ri, Alan Kim, Noel Kate Cho, Youn Yuh-jung, and Will Patton. The film was written and directed by Lee Isaac Chung, a semi-autobiographical take on Chung's upbringing.

Minari centres around a family of South Korean immigrants who try to make it in rural America during the 1980s.

Minari has been nominated for the Golden Globe Award for Best Foreign Language Film. For Alan Kim as David alone, the film is a winner in my books.


If you are looking for a good drama, with some amazing determination at the heart of the film, Minari is just a perfect night out at the cinema. Or morning session, if you know me, you know I love a 10am screening.

With Australian films doing so well at present, The Little Things (which I still need to see ASAP) dominating screens, it's important also to seek out these important smaller films.

Steven Yeun was fantastic in Burning, however alongside the beautiful Han Ye-ri as Monica Yi, Yuen shines in this role.

I loved this film, 4.5 Stars.

No comments: