Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Return to Cinema 2021 - Billie Eilish: The World's a Little Blurry

(Released on Apple TV+ February 26, 2021)

I have watched a few things on Apple TV+ but none of the movies, including the critically acclaimed Tom Hanks, Greyhound. I am however keen about the new Tom Holland film, Cherry along with the Justin Timberlake flick Palmer.

So Billie Eilish: The World's a Little Blurry became my first Apple TV+ film to watch. I watched it in parts as it is well over 2 hours.


The documentary is directed by R. J. Cutler, centring around Billie Eilish's creation process of Eilish's debut studio album When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?

The title of the documentary film is referencing a lyric from the album track "Ilomilo".

I have never wanted to be famous, so watching this made me even happier I was just a plain ass Jane.

Billie created easily the best album of 2019 with When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?. So much so it was my personal favourite album of that year.

With tracks with Khalid, RosalĂ­a while her teen icon Justin Bieber appears on the monster hit, Bad Guy. Justin appears in the movie in some of the sweetest moments of the film.

Billie's brother Finneas (the albums producer) and mother Maria are also the sweetest and nicest parts of the film. Billie's family is so supportive and so loving. They are there for her all the time. On tour, at home, at events. It's a special relationship. It's the beauty at the heart of this film.

Billie's music is sublime, from big hits like Bad Guy to album tracks like My Strange Addiction and earlier EP tracks like Bellyache. Billie is already a legend.

I really enjoyed this music documentary. While the current offerings at the cinema are a little subpar, streaming services can really get the upper hand. I am looking forward to Apple TV+ launching the second season of The Morning Show, however I do need more from this streaming service. To be honest Billie Eilish: The World's a Little Blurry is the best thing I have seen on Apple TV+ thus far.

4 Stars.

No comments: