Saturday, January 20, 2024

Post Strike Cinema 24' - Mean Girls (2024 film)

The trailer does not really spell out that the 2024 version of Mean Girls is more teen musical than updated comedy from the OG 2004 film.

Tina Fey has her name all over this updated version, based on the Broadway musical, which in turn was based on Mark Waters's 2004 comedy film.

Starring Angourie Rice, Auliʻi Cravalho and Christopher Briney with Reneé Rapp (reprising her role from the stage musical) while Fey and Tim Meadows also return to reprise their roles from the original film.

Mean Girls was an early opening in 2024, perfect for the Australian school holidays with a PG rating. With a 70% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, it has received generally mixed reviews from critics.

That said, the OG film was a cult hit! We wear pink on Wednesdays is still a common phrase in my workplace.


I enjoyed this fun little cinema release. I needed something light on a Friday night. I was tired from two full working weeks back to back. That said, I am on the edge of only four day working weeks before Vietnam - Lunar New Year and Taylor Swift's Era's tour!

Yes it's a busy quarter one. So hopefully I will be able to take in a few more Post Strike Cinema 24' films.

Mean Girls will not be for everyone. I think Gays of an age will like it, musical fans (which also happens to be category one: Gays), young girls and teens.

I am ranking this slightly higher as it lifted my mood at the end of a long ass week, 3 Stars. I did laugh out loud, which is rare at this cinemas these days!

No comments: