Thursday, February 25, 2010

Film Freak - Precious

Okay so there is a lot of hype re: this film, mainly for the acting and the amazing job young Mariah Carey did in her small but meaningful role.

I went into this film excited to see what all the hype was about but in turn for the first time in years seeing a film I was shocked. The movie was a little bit too much in some scenes and the mother of Precious Mon'ique was just too much of a mega bitch at times for even my liking.

Precious story is horrible, there is no light in her life, she has been raped by her junkie father since she was 3, has two children to him and basically her life goes from bad to worse to even worse.

I cannot say this enough if you are easily offended DO NOT see this film, it has graphic domestic abuse that even I struggled to watch.

I believe this film will score well at the Oscars and indeed impress critics as the acting is so good (even Mariah's) however the subject matter is just a bit too much to handle at times.

Precious rates a frightening 3 stars.

No comments: