Friday, May 10, 2013

Who Put the C in Comedy... Michael Hing


The Sydney Comedy Festival winds up this weekend and last night I saw my third and final comic. I have been a bit sexist this festival and stuck to comedians in minority groups, gays or ethnics. Basically gays and ethnics or a mix of the two make great comedians if like me as a young gay being bullied and shit makes you strong + sour = funny!

But I do love my lady comedians and I hope to god Judith Lucy does a new show soon.

So Michael Hing and my final entry in the Who Put the C in Comedy series, so a lot of comparisons can be drawn from Ronny Chieng but really no comparisons to Joel Creasy.

Hing and Chieng make lot's of references to being of Chinese heritage and I think Chieng does this better and with his slightly more aggressive tone it works better. But Hing is still a good storyteller and don't get me wrong but I talked about Hing today. He was born here, speaks only English, other than his appearance he is totally Aussie, he was schooled here and born in the Shire (FML for him) so really he is a total Aussie. To me being Australian has NOTHING to do with appearance but everything to do  with you as a person.

All people born/living here are Australian no matter the background, appearance or first language. Australians just need to get off their high horses and take people NOT on face value but as humans.

So after my rant "Occupy White People" kind of does not offend as the title may suggest, he skates around issues and former jobs, he impresses the largely younger crowd and drops the almighty C bomb once.

Michael Hing was entertaining but nothing as ground breaking and fun as Ronny Chieng, Ronny has a way with the audience and when his show is over you just want more, but with Hing I wasn't glad it was over but I had my hour with Hing and that was fine.

So Michael Hing's "Occupy White People", may need a bit more work but it's still fun and sold out so it can't be all bad.

Hing rates 3 stars.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am really grateful to the holder of this web site who has shared this
fantastic paragraph at at this time.

My blog; play minecraft free full version