Sunday, April 23, 2017

Silver Screen in 2017 {Raw}


I had little to no expectations heading into RAW on a Saturday afternoon in the midst of Easter/Anzac Day holiday celebrations. Raw released only last month after appearing at the 2016 Cannes Film Festival.



Raw is categorized as horror and ahead of going into the film I read two opposite reviews one giving it five stars and one giving it two stars. So where did I sit on the 1 to 5 star spectrum?

Well in all honesty somewhere in the middle.

I enjoyed the film but found some of the vet science school scenes a bit full on as an animal lover. I also found some of the violence, not over the top but in a way a little confronting as unlike US horror films, this was more raw (I know the film is called Raw) and less stylised and glamourous. Scream Queens in US TV made horror to be almost glamorous and fashionable.

33 year old director Julia Ducouranau is getting a world of praise for this film and rightly so, it is a neatly package film with a great ensemble of outstanding French talent.

I was impressed, compelled and left thinking about the film over dinner and hours after taking it in. That in itself in 2017 with throw away blockbuster after blockbuster and franchise after franchise films being released, week in, week out.

I said I went to the middle of the five star rating game, but actually I am going slightly higher and awarding this (if not for anything else, other than being 100% refreshing) 4 blood thirsty stars. A film simply well done and a coming of age for millennials growing up in 2017.

No comments: