Thursday, September 20, 2018

Movie Matinee Madness - The Nun


The Conjuring series has now spun out to five films. Two original Conjuring tales and two Annabelle films, now it's time for the Nun to strike.

In Romania in 1952 a demonic force is running wild, mainly in the form of a nun and for a packed Wednesday midweek session, this film had me shook!



I used to be a whole bunch better in scary films, but now in my thirties, I get freaked, easily.

There are a whole bunch of jump scenes in this film and the tension builds and builds and builds.

It does take a while to get to the point after the initial scary set up scene, but once it hits it's stride it works. Using original Conjuring stars Vera Farmiga's sister Taissa (pictured in the still above) as one of the main stars is an interesting move too.

Demián Bichir from the US season of The Bridge is a great choice for the Father who visit's this haunted and unholy site in Romania.

Overall I have enjoyed these Conjuring films and I that continued with The Nun. I liked Annabelle but the fact is a scary Nun is a bit more intense than a doll, as ugly as the doll was.

The Nun is the latest in James Wan's horror story, it's pretty excellent for the horror genre and I am giving it, 4 solid demonic Nun stars.

No comments: