Sunday, December 4, 2011

HoMeBaKeD!

Getting to Homebake at around 3:30pm is perfect, their are no line ups to get in, the weather is fine (and yesterday it was perfect with no clouds, no rain, no horrid heat - beauty!) and the crowd is well pissed.

We checked out the amazing Architecture in Helsinki, they were great and a clear highlight. I love these guys and later saw the lead lady checking out Ladyhawke, just love!

Architecture in Helsinki set was almost a best of with big fun hits like "That Beep", "I Know Deep Down", "Escapee" and more fun! I really loved it, would have loved a cover, but I can win everything.

I then moved on with my crew for a bit (and I mean a bit) of Kimbra, loved her dress, like her, walked in on "Settle Down", my least favourite. "Good Intent", "Limbo" and the last one "Cameo Lover" were fun but she was a little drowned out by Drapht towards the end of the set. But the Big Top was the most full it was all day for this young Kiwi.

Then whilst smashing a BBQ Pork bun or three we heard the monster sounds of Drapht, what a year for that man, "Rapzunzel" definitely you can let ya hair down.

Heard a bit of Daniel Merriweather's "Chainsaw in the distant too, will see him live one of these days.

Then chilled on the grass, enjoying the people, the weather and the one crazy ride of the day and the big sounds of "The Jezabels", man they are popular!

Heard a bit of Goyte from our chilled out spot, a little disappointing with the sound and choice of songs for his set. I heard the big tune from the coffee cart "Somebody That You Used to Know".

Walked of to see some "Seeker Lover Keeper" action but the line was large and then just gave in and caught my other favourite Kiwi girl who has been in hiding Ms Ladyhawke! And she was fun, all her fav's were their "Dusk til Dawn", "Paris is Burning", "Magic" and "My Delirium", she also played a lot of new ones and a good one called Sunday Drive.

And guess what I happened to find this on the YouTube!



Then rounding of the night was Cut Copy from Melbourne. I saw these guys in the same spot in 2008, I missed the 2009 Homebake due to a major mood swing. 2010 Homebake went bye bye. And it seemed they didn't bring the magic (and the packed tent) that they did those three years ago.

They have been nominated for a Grammy but they still didn't party like 08.

Anyway they did all their hits from their latest "Blink & You'll Miss a Revolution" (my personal fav), "Need You Now" & "Take me Over". They did some from "in Ghost Colours" but they could have done "Faraway" my fav in my opinion. Of course they did "Lights and Music" and "Hearts of Fire". A little bit of a disappointing end but still enjoyable, the crowds then seemed to all be leaving during "Need you Now" and the Grinderman set was losing people rapidly, a weird choice for the closer on the Homebake Classic Edition.

My only criticism of the "Classic Edition" brand is where was Spiderbait, the Gurge, You am I, TISM, Frenzal Rhomb, The Whitlams? And also missing some of the year's hottest Aussie stars like Boy & Bear and The Living End (also filed under Classic).

Anyway a great day, great vibe, not many young brats, a lot of music lovers and sensible festival clothes, love it!

Homebake 2011, a success but there are points to build on going forward into the future of music festivals, 4 stars

No comments: