Sunday, April 14, 2013

What's On @ the Movies 2013 - First Position


- Actual film released 2011 (Toronto Film Festival)/ May 2012 - USA

Wow it took a little while for this fine documentary to make it to OZ huh? LOL

Well stage mums unite, ballet dancers stand tall, dance fans beware, this doco is going to pull at your heart strings. Well received by most critics and David & Margaret both seemed to love it, so I went in thinking this would be ace, and let me tell you, it did not disappoint.

I was enthralled by the opening sequence. The young stars chosen so well and you really invested your time at the cinema in them.  Michaela DePrince does have to get a special mention, her  tale from Sierra Leone would even touch Alan Jones black heart. Joan Sebastian from Colombia was also super sweet and talented and young Aran Bell just outstanding.

I was close to tears, I loved the outcomes, I loved the well produced, slick documentary from start to finish, it was such a feel good hour and a half a great way to spend your Saturday night.

I urge you all to go check this one out, at a time when there is so much pressure on young people this is truly inspiring.  I am not a doco fan at the best of times but really this is just supreme. It sticks to it's 90 minute running time with no editing required and really captures the lives of the amazing young dancers it focuses on.

It will be my documentary of 2013 for sure (I pretty much will probably see one or none for the remainder of the year) and will also in general be one of my favourite movie moments of 2013.

For a little sample see below:



My next cinema experience is tomorrow and a full review will be coming soon it's for this slightly different film:



Until then, don't forget another new COUNTDOWN is coming later on tonight over @ Flashing Off The Record. Also this week over @ Flashing Off the Record:

Saturday Soundtrack w/ AlunaGeorge
Friday Dance Off! w/ my personal SONG O the WEEK Jessie Ware
Throwback Thursday w/ Ben Lee
A Closer Look @ Charts & My Countdown w/ Clips from Frank Ocean & Rufus
Tight Ass Tuesday Tune Day w/ Tegan & Sara

So give it a look now what you waiting for?  So to First Position's full score out of 5 after all my Today Tonight/ACA cross promotions? Well it's easy 4.25 pointed shoe stars out of a possible 5.  Go see it!

No comments: