Saturday, August 23, 2014

Film Freak 2014 - The Expendables 3


Sequel to The Expendables & The Expendables 2, the 2014 version is slightly longer, has a smaller budget than the previous film and has introduced some new characters.

Each film has gotten slightly longer and the problem with that is action films need to be tight. This one the longest is not tight at all, I did miss the very start of the film due to my lateness plus a trainee on the checkout but still the start is great, then it lacks excitement, then it picks up and so on.

The first film was well rounded at 99 minutes, the second added 4 minutes (like the Madonna song) and now from 99 minutes to 126 is a little overblown. Yes the action scenes are still well done but the added extras were just a little average and under cooked. The one line jokes fall flat as and some of the acting is D grade at best.

Let's go retro for my prior reviews on films one and two for a minute, I in the day gave both of these films 3 Stars which is fairly nice really right? This film however I may have to be a bit more honest and harsh as to say I am really horrified by the fact another 2 possible sequels are on the way plus a lady one. Oh brother.

I gave the trailer a spin in a prior blog entry below so I won't bore you with it again now, so let's just say The Expendables 3, may not be a great film but it's action scenes are pleasing and not over the top with gore. Kind of a flash back to the 80's, 90's before good special effects and make up.

I am torn should I continue to give these average mega guest starring films 3 Stars or should I be honest to you dear readers and say this is truthfully a 2.5 Star film. Yes it's $10 this week long at Hoyts and that's really all one should pay for this.

Otherwise the Inbetweeners 2 is showing and despite the reviews the first one actually surprised me and I enjoyed it on a flight from here to someone else far, far away.

Enjoy the weekend and see you at Tommy Little tonight.

No comments: