Friday, December 29, 2017

Silver Screen in 2017 {Downsizing}


Oh dear Matt Damon we have a problem, and I don't mean your recent statements around Mr Weinstein. Downsizing is almost in the category a week or so in as a box office bomb. It is the third Paramount Picture to be a massive stinker with audiences and critics alike. Mother! was insane, Suburbicon (despite having the fabulous Julianne Moore) looked horrid and I was told by a co-worker to avoid at all costs and now Paramount is stuck with the second Matt Damon bomb of 2017, Downsizing.

Look at times in this movie I wanted to like it, then Matt Damon reappeared on the screen as a fat, middle aged, uninspired, dull white guy who could have inspired Beck's 90's anthem Loser.



Spoiler alert, although I doubt most of you will waste your Summer seeing this film, Star Wars is still showing and Three Billboards is about to open (reviews here and here, you're welcome). Kristen Wiig vanishes halfway through the film like a few of my audience members did or maybe they were just in the wrong cinema, it was hot as fuck the day I saw this.

But really Hong Chau steals the show is up for a number of the awards and most impressively falls asleep whilst Matt Damon is talking to her. Worse still he launches in for a kiss, fuck man, you are gross Matt Damon, GROSS.

I sound like I am being hard on Damon, but honestly his movies are kind of lame these days, he is someone I wonder why Hollywood still cast as a lead? Also in marketing shots he is probably not the most sellable face on the big screen in 2017.

After seeing Damon struggle through the Chinese Great Wall in 2016, I think old mate needs a rest, a seat in the directors chair or just some time out, this is really not going well for Damon.

For Chau and Wiig running off on Damon I can give this 2 Stars, I actually really liked the idea, but it goes now and at times I think even the producers thought why did the studio ever invest in this.

No comments: