Thursday, January 4, 2018

Romper Stomper


As a 10 year old boy I was NOT allowed to watch the original movie, but in my late teens I think I watched a taped (yes VHS) version of the Russell Crowe original film, Romper Stomper.

Now in 2017, New Years Day Stan launches yet another Film to TV season, following two successful seasons of Wolf Creek, I have a funny feeling Romper Stomper will be equally as successful.

In my current news fixation I have spotted numerous reviews (mostly positive) and opinion pieces questioning, do we need this racism on Australian TV? Good question.

After watching most of the season when I am posting this, I am extremely impressed by this series. Much like yesterdays The Punisher post I have found this series extremely well done.



I have been long singing the praise of Foxtel's drama department, Wentworth is easily Australia's best series in years, Love My Way was revolutionary and Satisfaction back in 2007-2010 was brilliantly sexy.

Now Stan is stepping up the drama, look out Logies, Seven, Nine and Ten might be getting less and less nominations.

I read an article recently calling out the three commercial networks for lacking vision in drama and sticking to lame family friendly dramas, Romper Stomper is as far away from family friendly as they come.

I am hoping Stan continues to produce such high quality drama, Foxtel better not rest on it's laurels cause Stan is coming... Let's face it, if Foxtel start losing sports to one of these streaming services and there Sky News is literally a cluster of fucks, a complete cluster fuck. And David Wenham is clearly inspired by one of these Sky News "talents", Mr Andrew Bolt.

Not only does Wenham play the shock jock well, he exploits them for all they are, FRAUDS.

Toby Wallace as Kane and Sophie Lowe as Zoe however are the true young talents in this series. Lowe (also a musician) is an extremely fascinating character, whilst supporting roles from film original star Jacqueline McKenzie and the vile Blake Farron played by Sydney Theatre Company star Lachy Hulme (he was in the horrid Speed the Plow recently).

This is must watch Summer viewing. Well done Stan, as I have said look out Foxtel, I know Wentworth is still the best and Secret City was a classy little mini series next year, but there is now a lot riding on Picnic at Hanging Rock being 100% fabulous!

No comments: