Monday, December 2, 2019

In Flight Movies + Cinema Slut 2019 (Bangkok Edition)


Day time flights are interesting, you are well rested, not super interested in eating as you ate at home, however you still sleep and make a pig of yourself. However why not skip the sleeping and catch the latest and greatest entertainment Qantas (my airline to Bangers) has to offer.

I am lucky to be travelling over two months, just. Departing on the last day of November and returning mid December I get two batches of entertainment. I have to give Qantas props, the November entertainment was stellar. Here are the three films I watched and a brief review and I mean brief.

Following the three in flight films is the movie I missed in Sydney, so as I treat I went to the Siam cinemas to check out, 21 BRIDGES, review and trailer below.

First up it's, BOOKSMART. I missed this in Sydney when it was playing at the cinema. It had a super short run and was mainly playing at the Dendy and smaller cinemas. Booksmart is like a girl version of any guy sex coming of age comedy, you know how much I love these, remember Good Boys!


Olivia Wilde makes her directing debut whilst Beanie Feldstein and Kaitlyn Dever shine as the two leads. I also have to say it for me has been the year of Billie Lourd, she was one of the best things in the latest American Horror Story: 1984, in Booksmart she continues to shine bright like a diamond.

Booksmart is fun, warm whilst showing the challenges of growing up smart and some what different. It's an easy, funny watch. Check it out on your next flight or no doubt it will be streaming somewhere, soon.

Next up, I have to also give Qantas love for showcasing a number of new Australian films. Like Booksmart, THE NIGHTENGALE had a select run (and I mean select) when it was playing on the big screen.


You can't expect great results for Aussie movies if they play just at the Dendy in Newtown. I live in Sydney CBD and have to say, if I live in the city and don't have access to local stories, what hope do folks in regional Australia have. I mean those so called "Quiet Australians".

Game of Thrones star Aisling Franciosi plays the lead on a tale of revenge and retribution. Joining her on her journey across Tassie is Billy played by Baykali Ganambarr. The film has a few international stars, it looks amazing and Tasmania is really starting to shine on the big and small screen.

The film is nominated for a pile and I mean most of the 9th AACTA Awards, held this week! Looks it's violent and brutal in parts but overall a wonderful, mostly well received film. Well done all involved and good luck this week at the awards ceremony.

Let's get this out first, I don't usually like Keira Knightley, however as whistleblower Katharine Gun I was sold. OFFICAL SECRETS is actually playing in some Australian cinemas now and is well worth a look. The cast is solid, the story has never been more current, look at Australian press, they are almost as much of an enemy as CNN and the Fake News in the USA.


You don't need to see this on the big screen but it does make for a fast paced, exciting watch. Keira Knightly I might turn and be a fan one of these days after all!

Now to my last film and my one cinema experience, 21 BRIDGES. Following his success as Black Panther Chadwick Boseman stars as a cop on a mission, a brutal mission, a super fast paced mission. Film makers take note, Brian Kirk does a wonderful job getting this film below two hours, full of action and twists, whilst under that two hour mark.


I enjoyed this film, it was violent, interesting and a different kind of action/thriller. 2019 has spat out some by the numbers films, this despite having numbers in it's title is not one of them.

I was compelled the entire 110 minutes, you think you are at the end of the ride, then bam, something else comes out at y'all.

Now this is screening again in limited release back home, interestingly Last Christmas has not yet opened here in Bangkok, instead they have a Thai film about the Cave rescue, man they got that out fast!

Frozen II is clearly going to dominate the cinema over the next few weeks until Disney drop another box office giant, Star Wars. Therefore I will aim to bring you reviews of the biggest and non Disney feature films.

21 Bridges gets a solid 4 Stars, ignore the critics on this one. Not me, the paid ones...

No comments: