Thursday, December 5, 2019

Summer Days in Phuket


It's officially Summer back in Australia even though the bushfires have started, the carparks at shopping centres are filling up and people are on edge or hangover re: their respective Christmas parties.

Meanwhile I have my feet up in Phuket, Thailand and wish I had done the entire Eat, Pray, Love whole of December out of Australia.

The Thai people never cease to amaze me with their friendly attitude and willingness to help visitors to their beautiful country.

At the hotel I am staying in we have two women at the dining locations who get so excited each morning to see us at the breakfast buffet, another soy latte ka? Can I get you anything ka? How did you sleep ka? How was the night markets ka? They are interested in you and your wellbeing.

It's refreshing after leaving Sydney behind, a city so happy to boost it's harbour, beautiful beaches whilst neglecting to mention how uncultured and vile the rats race has become. I long to leave Sydney, however the jobs market is too good, my gym is sublime and in the middle of all the cunty behaviour I do have a number of places that feel like home.

A cafe in the morning where they sing my name and instantly make me the best soy latte in town, a gym where all members and staff are heaven not to mention an eight minute walk to work.

I am very lucky, I am blessed and I will in 2020 try my hardest to avoid some of the toxic elements of Sydney. It's a beautiful city, it's just sometimes with beauty comes a real lack of substance.

Our main lacking substance is culture, a vibrant city, a well planned city, a city like Bangkok which is just so alive. The people eat later, the shops are always open, the city is a place of excitement. The Sydney CBD is a wasteland outside 9-5pm hours. People rush back to the suburbs to watch Sky News after dark and complain about the long commute times.

Sydney we can do better, let's do this in 2020, the world is a small place, people are taking note that our city whilst beautiful is no longer vibrant, it's dull, the music scene is dead, the food scene is fine if it's before 8pm.

2020, I can feel it's going to be a way better year than 2019.

No comments: