Monday, July 12, 2021

Return to Cinema 2021 - Black Widow

Return to Cinema 2021 is back after a few weeks off. Yes the cinemas are once again closed in Sydney, however with streaming services completely dominating, Disney+ with Premier Access allows cinema lovers to watch Black Widow at home.

Now I watched Mulan this way and honestly always gave Marvel movies a go at the cinemas, so this was something new. Not ideal but I still got to watch the biggest movie (alongside the latest Fast & Furious film) from home.

This is the 24th film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) based on Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff / Black Widow. The film also stars Florence Pugh, David Harbour, O-T Fagbenle, Olga Kurylenko, William Hurt, Ray Winstone, and Rachel Weisz. 

Black Widow is set after the events of Captain America: Civil War. We find Romanoff / Black Widow on the run and forced to confront a conspiracy tied to her past.

The film is a real globe trotting affair (unlike 2021 for Australians) with action in Norway, Budapest, Morocco and of course the USA.

Black Widow has been a box office success to date, grossing over $158 million worldwide. 

So did I enjoy a Marvel film from bed? Well, yes and no.

I did honestly have to watch the film in two sittings. One half at night, then second half in the morning. It's another longer Marvel film clocking in at just over 2 hours.

It also helps set up the next Marvel TV series to air on Disney+, Hawkeye. Yes Loki concludes this week meaning there is room for another series to land soon.

Black Widow may not be my favourite Marvel film, however I did like the storyline and second halves action sequences. There was a lot going on whilst also trying to bear in mind this took part before Black Widow's fate is sealed in the final Avengers film.

I am really missing the cinemas in Sydney again. I never thought we would be back in March 2020 again. But hell here we are, ScoMo is trying to spin his way out of this shit show while who I do feel sorry for are all the casuals and cinema employees who now find themselves without work or Jobkeeper.

I would have much preferred seeing this film on the big screen, with perfect sound. To pay for this while keeping kids employed. Until then I will give it a review to my best ability to review from bed, 3 Stars.

No comments: