Thursday, January 19, 2012

Sydney Festival 2012 - Thyestes

Thyestes is part of the Sydney Festival so I expected arty farty to the max and well did I get it!

Thyestes is a Greek tragedy played in the modern world with iPhones, Karadashian references and plenty of bad words and strap on penis's. If this does not sound like it's for you, it's probably not.

This is one of the most confronting pieces of theatre I have seen and I thought at times it was just being shocking for being shocking's sake.

The story is easy to follow as a small screen tells you what scene your in and what you are about to see.

Their is so much bad language, nudity, violence and naughty references this is totally not a school holidays friendly production.

Look I liked it at times but towards the end I just felt gross and nasty for sitting through this at times difficult to watch production.

Thyestes has just opened and I was two rows in front of the lovely Barry O Farrell, god knows what he thought of a man sucking another mans strap on.

One for many a discussion Thyestes rates two stars.

No comments: