Sunday, August 25, 2013

THE Fokkema Five


So I recently worked with an extremely wonderful individual recently LUCY ROSE FOKKEMA, I always asked for her Fokkema Five, this became her Fokkema High Five and although this is music and should be on my other blog (Flashing Off The Record) I decided from time to time I am going to get people to put down their five favourite songs, I'll post them plus give some unique comments to each of your selections.

So if your keen on having your favourite five songs under the spotlight, let me know (you know how) but in the meantime let's start with Fokkema's High Five:
FKA TWIGS – Water Me


- OH! Fokkema, I do love Grimes (who was suggested on the YouTube side panel) but this for me was a little slow, the beginning had me thinking and drifting off to all sideways destinations. However that said still a solid sound. I will be keen to check out more stuff from FKA Twigs, random name, killer piercings.
NELLY – COUNTRY GRAMMAR


- Oh how much I love Nelly's latest jam with Pharrell and Minaj but this right here is where it all started with Nelly yelling HOT SHIT! Killer jam, ace video from what I think was the late 90's????
Nelly will always be a star to me, yes he has had some shit tunes in the past but who could hate the man responsible for "Hot in Herre"? Really? Even my mate Misty must love her some Nelly, so Fokkema top choice her babe.
LADY – YANKIN


- Oh LADY! I'm not going to lie this had me grinding my sofa like no ones business. I do love a dirty female rapper (I mean Azealia Banks had the best EP of 2012 with "1991" by a LONG shot last year) and Lady could be one of my new favourites. This song in one word is YANKIN!

I may never be able to get this joint out of my head, equally a DOPE Adults Only number for those late night house parties.
NASHVILLE TEENS – TOBACCO ROAD


- From Nelly & Lady to this? How? I guess this is why I love Fokkema so much, I really do wish you all the best at your new role, they are lucky to have a lady with such diverse music taste riding her wee bike into their workplace.

This song did throw me a bit before we stepped into some Sister Sledge and well into your real love of Disco music. Yes if the 70's music could come back around I could imagine you jumping for joy.

Back to this song, it's not going to make an iPod playlist of mine anytime soon, but that is not to say I didn't enjoy the 2:34 of it :)
SISTER SLEDGE – HE’S THE GREATEST DANCER


- Last but not least DISCO! Oh dear, I do love the Dannii Minogue version of this particular hit single, however Sister Sledge are the original diva's behind this classic roller skating disco number. Great final choice Fokkema, the Fokkema Five had about as much diversity as downtown Campsie, therefore I loved it!

No comments: