Sunday, November 3, 2013

2013 Album of the Year + Summer Stuff


So it's been a hot weekend and that can only mean Summer is on the way....

Last year I gave you Frank Ocean as the album of 2012 and this year I will reveal on Boxing Day around 10am the BEST album of 2013. So far their are 6 big albums in the mix. I will go over them soon but you can catch all the latest (including my 5 Star (YES 5 Star) review of Beyonce) over at Flashing OFF the Record NOW!

So calendar of events thus far for Summer over at Flashing OFF the Record:

Monday's - A Summer List - ranging from the best Men & Women of 2013 to the best in each genre of 2013. Let's face it with new albums from Tina Arena and Celine Dion lately there is a lot of quality releases from me to countdown 20 to 1.

Tuesday's - Album of the Year updates - Various other posts

Wednesday's - Album of the Year updates - Various other posts

Thursday's - By popular demand, we will THROWBACK on Thursday's

Friday's - Album of the Year updates - Various other posts

Saturday's - Album of the Year updates - Various other posts

Sunday's - The weekly Countdown continues over Summer with lot's of number 1's!

So back to the album of the year race and to be honest we have had a massive number of nominations lately and with the releases schedule slowing down there is maybe room for one or two new nominations before the year is done. Last year Flume was a super late entry but ended up being the Australian Album of the Year. Controversially I might leave this to Triple J this year unless I get more Aussies in my list, otherwise Rufus you are my Australian Album of 2013.

Speaking of Triple J very excited about Dig Music and the announcement that Triple J goes from two stations (JJJ & Unearthed) to three! But here is my verdict on the J Awards Nominations thus far:

Flume - Self Titled. We all know my verdict on this album it was the Australian album of 2012 on this very BLOG on Australian Day 2013, so Triple J you may be a year behind however Flume is all killer/ no filler and to top this off it's getting a deluxe release real soon, best of luck Flume not that you require it buddy.

Rufus - Atlas. The BEST Aussie dance album of the last 11 months, I love it, from "Take Me", "Desert Nights" to "Tonight", this album is a real dance floor filler. Well done boys.

Big Scary - Not Art. Not bad, not super excited about this.

The Drones - I See Seaweed. BORING!

Jagwar Ma - Howlin'. I have got to say I love reading NME and seeing an Aussie band being celebrated, and Jagwar Ma have done this. Very proud of Jagwar Ma, great stuff boys, "Man I Need" is such a great tune.

Cloud Control - Dream Cave. Again like Big Scary, kinda boring.

Now to my Album of the Year Nominations which are not limited to local releases:

1. Rudimental - HOME

Spawning such hits as "Hell Could Freeze" with up and coming rapper for rent Angel Haze, "Feel the Love" & "Not Giving In" featuring big #1 name in music this year John Newman and "Waiting all Night". The album is a definite chart favourite, but will it be the album of 2013?

2. Disclosure - Settle

The second album of the year also feel into the smart UK dance group and showed these two young brothers have more to offer than a couple of hot singles and a red hot EP. This album was one I was really waiting for and let me tell you it delivered. From hits like "You & Me", "F For You", "White Noise" and some killer album cuts, I am so proud of this album. What an achievement.

3. Kanye West - Yeezus

A few people questioned me on this choice, but Kanye did what Daft Punk couldn't and that was make an album not just a couple of songs surrounded by horrid filler. "Black Skinhead" is one of the best singles of 2013 and "New Slaves" oh my god, amazing. I loved "Bound 2" and some way out samples. I am so excited about where Kanye is headed into the future. He is the ultimate pop star. And I mean pop star in the best possible way.

4. Rufus - Atlas

The third dance album but the first Australian album for 2013. Wit Rudimental and Disclosure in the mix this is going to be tough for the Sydney boys but with hot club airplay at present for "Tonight" and a lot of early love for "Take Me", Rufus are on top of the Australian dance scene taking over Empire of the Sun, The Presets and maybe even Cut Copy despite that killer tune and video for "Free Your Mind".

5. Haim - Days are Gone

Like Disclosure I could hardly wait for this long player and was their any disappointment? HELL NO! Haim are the real deal. The album flows and album cuts like "If I Could Change Your Mind" are just bliss. "Honey & I" is just wonderful too. This is a debut album to be so proud of and I really hope they have a big career ahead of them.

6. Lorde - Pure Heroine

As far as MEGA hypes go Lorde is the queen of the mega hype machine and she has delivered "Royals" is up there with the biggest songs of 2013 next to "Get Lucky". "Tennis Court" showed she has what it takes and "Team" is a real anthem. Will Lorde's album go onto great things? Is she going to still be big in 2014? Time will tell but as far as debut records go this is damn good.

No comments: