Saturday, January 18, 2014

UPDATE: The Real Sydney Festival - 2014 {PART 5}


So in unfortunate circumstances I missed the Solange gig, major sad face but shit, shit that girl was getting on stage @ 10:20pm on a school night, what was I thinking? mmmmhhhmmmm

OK so the other Sydney Festival is in full swing and I heard something way too funny for words, opening night of Opera Dido & Aeneas as reviewed and told by a friend some man heckled the performers yelling "What's this all got to do with Opera".

Oh dear god this is why I ran this piece this year, Sydney Festival has as time goes on missed the mark, this is our city in Summer. Ok lets look at that line:

This is our city, in Summer:

1. It's Summer so in place of seeing a shit Opera complete with hecklers people generally like to be outdoors.

2. Our city, programming should be inclusive not exclusive to the art elite and the very people who usually go to the Opera for the one reason of telling their friends "Oh we did the Opera at the Opera House on Friday, how fabulous". Really they were bored shitless and wished they were home watching Geordie Shore.

So I took the two above points and outline some great acts in and around the City and last night I took my own advice and thanks to the sublime Claudia I had a super ball at the St George Open Air Cinema.

This is a well organised and amazing event, first of all the backdrop is divine, this is Summer and you couldn't get more Sydney if you tried. The Botanic Gardens are so sublime and really I can't say a single bad thing about how this is all run.

So I saw the Oscar nominated documentary "20 Feet From Stardom" and to be honest it was perfect (full review tomorrow in my usual Film Freak 2014 post) and so good for a music lover like me to see another side of the industry.

But really get along to St George Open Air Cinema it is a perfect date night and the food is supreme, great coffee and great view of this beautiful city.

Coming Soon more events to jam in ahead of the end of Summer (or the warm months so March 2014) and my reviews on:

20 Feet from Stardom
Inside Llewyn Davis

No comments: