Wednesday, January 29, 2014

MEGA UPDATE - RANDY ANDY'S WEAK IN REVIEW


So it's been a while and I saw two movies Monday, ripped it up in Canberra over the long weekend and now find myself thinking Australia Day over, the summer slack period over and 2014 feels like it's in full swing. I just posted on my other BLOG Flashing off the Record a mega music update so if your keen for some music whilst reading my mega update go take a peak, you know you want to.

So first up let's look to movies:

FILM FREAK 2014 - 12 Years a Slave {Actual film released in the US in 2013}

When thinking back last year to The Butler and then thinking about this film, there is a big difference in quality and feeling. Yes we all loved Oprah's wigs but it really has nothing on 12 Years a Slave. I was warned about the violence and did find one scene particularly hard to watch but man Chiwetel Ejiofor was just spectacular. It was such a great film and so engaging, I really just loved this picture and on Australia Day my own white guilt just came washing all over me:



So 12 Years a Salve, it's not really for the light hearted by definitely worth a look in and it really makes you think. Oh America I can't believe your history sometimes, just shocking. 12 Years a Slave, wonderful 4 Stars.

FILM FREAK 2014 - Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones

One of the first new films for 2014 and after a year off my list for making me nearly shit myself live in the cinema the Paranormal franchise back. This time a little Latin, this time a little more mature.

With more language, almost sex scenes and some pretty big gun shots this Paranormal Activity film appears to have a bigger budget than the last few. I really enjoyed this film and with the Bridge (US edition) star Carlos Pratts playing a character it appears they are after some more accomplished actors.

You know this was a fun film, short enough for the audience not to get bored and still featured the frights you expect from this franchise:



I enjoyed this and if you enjoyed any of the four prior to this, check it out, 3 scary pants stars.

That's all for movies and I must say how happy I am to have The Following back on TV, season 2 has been great thus far, really liking where they are headed. Spoiler Alert here is where the USA is at:



I must say though a little disappointed with the new HBO gay drama "Looking", me thinks a whole gay cast is a little passé when you can have such great gay characters like in the US version of "Shameless" and of course the other HBO darling "Girls". So much TV right now so little time, also liking but not loving "True Detective" and really am quiet happy that "American Horror Story" is coming to an end, what a shitty season they have had.

Until next time, G Night x

No comments: