Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Netflix has a new weapon...


Killer documentaries. And as I started this post on the long weekend we started the week with Netflix killing one of it's two main competitors in Australia, bye bye Presto.

Presto had the square root of fuck all going for it, exclusive content included the axed US drama Aquarius which was so poorly viewed in the US and also a true life crime going nowhere, fast!

Mr Robot is also one of the most downloaded shows so ain't no one paying $10 a month for a show one can grab on the torrents.

The one thing Presto had going for it was Wentworth and some of the Aussie Foxtel dramas. Anyway back to why Netflix is slaughtering there competition. Not to mention competition in the same industry but live entertainment and people leaving the house in general. Thanks to Foodora and Deliveroo too I think. Not to mention Uber Eats, why next winter will I ever leave the house.

So over the long weekend I binged on documentaries on Netflix (and a little Easy, gosh that was all killer no filler so far!) I'll Sleep When I'm Dead and Amanda Knox.

Look Steve Aoki's music was originally for me but I haven't listened to a lot of his work lately but man his doco almost had me in tears towards the end, just brilliant and Amanda Knox. Well I heard about this obviously as I love ABC News 24 but this case was trial by media and also so badly handled.

Like the Jon Bonet event, only the people at this Italian place will now what truly happened that night. As I watched the doco I was nowhere near convinced of anything. But what I loved was the variety the the superior quality of these Netflix documentaries.

Luke Cage, House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Bloodline and more all draw viewers and subscribers a like to this wonderful entertainment hub but this line of quality original programming is an added dimension that shows Presto would never last in this game. Foxtel unless you also lift your game, you could be next.

Stan maybe hurry up and renew Wolf Creek and start creating new original material or otherwise Fairfax and Nine Ent Co you have another dog on your hands like the frequently decreasing pages in the SMH or Channel Nine's ghastly Block series number 150.

No comments: