Saturday, December 3, 2016

GARBAGE.


Oh 90's WORLD! Garbage a few months ago announced they would play a run of A Day on the Greens with an all star line up and some gigs on their own along the way. Unfortunately it's not the 90's anymore as I had not seen the Hordern this empty in a while.

However I do love an older more well behaved crowd. People brought their kids, 90's World Version 2.0 t-shirts came out and the set list kicked off with 1996 radio single Supervixen.

The crowd was overjoyed at the older songs included in the set including second track I Think I'm Paranoid from the 1998 record Version 2.0.

I feel in love with Garbage around the time of I Think I'm Paranoid and I dug back into their first record and was an instant fan, so much so I travelled to Brisbane to see them along with Ben Lee & Sebadoh at Livid. The festival in 1999 featured a stellar line up including The Offspring, Suede, Powderfinger, Spiderbait, 28 Days, Gerling and so many more! Livid along with many other festivals died in 2003, with no festival in 2004 and the promised return in 2005 never happening. Sad really, it was fun.

Anyway like festivals unfortunately for Garbage the music world has changed, a lot!

Their last record Strange Little Birds vanished almost as soon as it was released and the previous record Not Your Kind of People suffered a similar fate.

The problem with some 90's bands is they are almost stuck in the 90's, Shirley Manson was a tour de force back in the day, she even appeared on the telly in a short lived Terminator series. However in 2016 Shirley liked to have a rant about how scary the world is getting (true that, girl) and the person in front of me answered stop preaching and sing. Oh boy.

As Shirley Manson has hit 5-0 it's great to see her still with as much stage presence as ever but I wonder whether it's time for her to try solo or a new genre. It's like Madonna, honey no one is buying you and Nicki Minaj!

My highlight of a patchy set list (the new songs mostly went down like a lead balloon) was the final encore number Cherry Lips (Go baby Go). The group decided to turn their back on their biggest hit When I Grow Up and my personal favourite Androgyny.

It was patchy and a majorly nostalgic night that I won't forget in a while and I applaud Shirley and the gang for still being iconic but I hate to say it, I like their old stuff better than their new stuff.

RELATED AUDIO







No comments: