Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Cinema Slut #2019 - Aquaman (4D)


Yes new post title, new year, Happy New Year from your resident Cinema Slut. All 2019 I will continue to bring an unbiased approach to my take on films. I have no trained/qualifications/experience in reviewing/making/starring in or directing films, I just know what I like.

What I do however like at the minute is movies in 4D and I am so happy one of my local four cinema outlets has it, however for my first review of the new year I am still in Bangkok so this is based on my 4DX experience at Central World, Bangkok. And actually I have never been to this cinema before so it was a nice change from the busy one at Siam Paragon.

Here is the trailer for my first 2019 review...


Ok so this unfortunately (like Vice) will not make my list for Best Movies of 2019, why? Because it was one released in the last year (2018) and two I saw the film after my list for the year was published. It's flawed I know, but WTF. So actually this does fall under my Movie Matinee Madness titles as it was a 3:10pm session on New Year's Eve so technically. Anyway to the movie hot damn.

Now this was tipped to be the biggest film of Boxing Day 2018, why? Because their was no Star Wars, Vice was aimed at the more high brow crowd, as was The Favourite (next on my list to see) and Holmes and Watson, honestly why. Why!

New Year's Day sees a new Mary Poppins film, however Aquaman is currently doing solid box office. To date (1 Jan, 2019) over 750 million bucks, not bad for a 200 million buck film.

Filmed mostly in QLD (go the Gold Coast and surroundings!) and various other places, not as important as Main Beach, Aquaman looks incredible. And not just because Jason Momoa is a hunk of a man (not your usual leading man look) but those underwater scenes are killer!

A huge cast including our own Nicole Kidman and fellow male beauty Randall Park, they are joined by Amber Heard (remember her last experience in Australia with her doggies), Patrick Wilson, Willem Dafoe, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II and even long time Saw friend Leigh Whannell drops by.

A sequel is planned and by the looks of it, Randall Park & Yahya Abdul-Mateen II will play much larger roles. Not that, that is hard with Park appearing for all of two minutes until the end credits. So stay for the end credits, stay!

The use of actors from various other films/TV series makes this a great cast, whilst Wilson and Wan have worked together a lot on the Conjuring films, Wan is an extremely talented and brilliant mind with blockbusters of this nature. Mashing everything up together to finally deliver another good DC film.

Marvel won't be too nervous as Shazam looks like it's going to be a stinker or a weird success story. Side note end.

But really DC have had a tough time with movies, Justice League was a bit too overcrowded and tried to be an Avengers film, but kind of failed.

One downside, the music, it's some of the songs used in this film are beyond terrible, Pitbull's weird Africa mash up Ocean to Ocean and Skylar Grey's two songs, awful, leave it to Black Panther and Kendrick for music next time.

Other than the music, Aquaman actually is awesome! I think it'll be a while till we see Aquaman back on our screens, however I really cannot wait.

Aquaman is a solid film, school holiday fun, does not feel like almost 2 hours 30 minutes in the cinema seat nonstop fun filled action joyride.

4 Stars.

No comments: