Thursday, January 24, 2019

#SUMMER-BINGE-FEST - Orange is the New Black, Season Six


As a long weekend approaches it's time for some more binge-worthy TV. Now I must admit I always save Orange is the New Black for Christmas/New Years and this year I was a little late.

Season six originally was released late July 2018, over a month later than usual so I was in check with the shows release schedule with my own personal viewing schedule.

The season picks up after last seasons, season long riot. Now I must say as I binge this, then wait a full 12 months or so, I sometimes forget the characters and where they are at. However by about episode six I was back on board.

At the time of publishing this I am knee deep in the finale before the seventh and final season airs sometime this year.

As much as I am looking forward to closing this chapter in my TV life, OITNB has given us some great one liners and Jenji Kohan is a legend in my books. I loved Weeds (oh Hunter Parish, where art thou?), adore GLOW and must saw I am interested in her joint project to air on Lifetime (YOU and UnReal) American Princess.

Lifetime doesn't have a great track record, but thankfully in 2019 we have a life line/safety net for shows like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, YouTube or anyone else but Lifetime (the network for 40 plus women and gay men, well me)!

OITNB is hard to watch sometimes after stellar seasons of Wentworth, which deals with bigger issues whilst with a local backdrop. OITNB has always had comedy at it's centre with big issues outside of the comedy.

Where Wentworth uses characters like Boomer to bring comedy to the show to break up tension and dealing with death, illness, past issues, OITNB sort of squeezes in drug addiction, female rights, race relations and more while swearing a shit tonne.

A lot of critics said this season was a vast improvement on the last, I enjoyed the riot however have always (like Jessica Jones) found the pacing a little slow. With 13 hour long episodes, there always seems to be some filler.

Don't get me wrong this is worth and look and honestly OITNB we have come this far together, let's finish it!

OITNB is streaming now (all six seasons, seventh season release date TBA) on Netflix.

No comments: