Monday, January 10, 2011

I love Live Music in January - N.E.R.D

Okay Pharrell and his team of NERDS has been like one of my favourite bands for the longest time, "Lapdance" one of the best crossover cross genre tracks ever penned, so what happened last Friday @ the Hordern?

Full N.E.R.D review to come but first I caught around half the set to Chromeo and boy do these Canadian Canucks know how to break an 80's jam. Loved it! "Fancy Footwork" was some stellar stuff and their sound and vibe were electric through the part of the set I caught.

Boy Noize were next on this monster 4 group event and I must say full on disco was not my cup of tea on the night so I had a breather while Boy Noize did his thing, much to the enjoyment of the wide ranged crowd which rocked up on this wet Summer night.

Then came Pharrell and the N.E.R.D tribe. Now they started with two rather woeful slow jams which I thought was a little bit of a concern. They then busted a move with "She Wants to Move" which lifted the roof and got the crowd a little more into it. The highlights continued with "Rock Star", "Everyone Nose (All the Girls Standing in the Line for the Bathroom)" and the finale "Lapdance". The new tracks from the album Nothing including the Daft Punk produced "Hypnotize U" all fell flat with their older singles being the crowds big faves.

Overall the energy was there but it seemed to be lacking something, like a N.E.R.D album, there was good bits, filler and okay bits, I think these boys should maybe produce some more hits for Brits or the Gaga.

Overall Chromeo were the clear highlights of the evening with there 80's dance floor smashes, loved it!

3 stars (most of which for the Chromeo)

No comments: