Monday, January 31, 2011

M.I.A @ the Metro

Well the Big Day Out has left town and the sideshows are now finishing up. After the interesting results after trying to do the two Sydney shows again we are Big Day Out free for another year.

The only sideshow I have managed to see is MIA and I was totally excited, I have been a fan since my days in Canada and he albums are a little N.E.R.D with the fact that their is always one or two killer tunes and the rest is questionable.

Her support or double header as it was billed was a new outfit who I hadn't heard much of Die Antwood. They were interesting and got the crowd really fired up.

MIA has done it all she has recently released a online mixtape called Vicki Leaks (very clever Ms MIA).

Now to the set, you basically couldn't hear her vocals over the loud club beats, it was for sure she had taken her boiler room headliner seriously. The set was so club focused a lot of her good time hits were missed which was a shame. The set featuring "Boyz" featuring 12 randoms from the crowd on stage with MIA and her two back up dancers, "Paper Planes" with her at the top of the Marshall stacks and various other tunes to a massive club beat.

I enjoyed the show but it wasn't great, MIA has such promise and potential I was expecting a little more.

Overall MIA rates 3 and a half stars.

No comments: