Friday, February 22, 2013

Beautiful Thing – Seymour Centre


Beautiful Thing – Seymour Centre   It’s Mardi Gras time in Sydney and with Mardi Gras brings some cultural excitement and events to help us gays get through the day to day grindr of listening to back to back Kylie medley’s, practising our Beyonce “Single Ladies” dances moves and basically living life on the edge. Well maybe that’s not me however I am currently enjoying Tegan and Sara’s ultra camp new album “Heartthrob”.

Okay to the task @ hand and last week/weekend I drowned myself in the wonderful world of Cinema and this week it’s been the live scene. Tomorrow I will review La Soiree which is currently playing @ the Opera House and was a little bit AWESOME!

Anyway so Beautiful thing, a play originally then a movie now a play again, as Shirley Bassey sang it’s all just a lit bit of History Repeating. First up the set was amazing as were the terrific young cast. I loved the detail for the fantastic set of units set in Britain our mother land.

The story is beautiful and the comic element of the play is just great with loads of laughs to be had and basically an all round fun night at the theatre. The relationship between the boys is beautiful but so is the mother son dynamics and the sub plots in this oh so 90’s world play.

I have seen a few things around Mardi Gras time in Sydney and this by far is the standout. I have seen shows with loads of nudity and no substance, shows with no substance and no nudity and this “Beautiful Thing” is full of substance and for some readers no nudity.

I rate this one highly, it’s a great story with laugh out loud moments and real heart, “Beautiful Thing” rates a solid 4 gay power stars. Tickets still up for grabs @

Happy Friday

No comments: