Saturday, April 19, 2014

I'm SOOOOOO Loving Easter Right about NOW!


How good is four days off back to back? It's somewhat blissful after a huge 3 and a half months start to 2014. Easter for me personally could not have come at a better time. I am not religious nor believe in any of the real meanings of Easter however I do think in the 24/7 society we now exist in, 4 days off and time to chill is just what the doctor ordered.

As I walked my dog today and saw very few people, few cars and just a sense of calm in the air in inner Sydney, I felt like everything is a-OK.

Although last night I must contradict this by eating out on George Street and seeing two thugs punch a man (for what seemed to be no reason) in the middle of all of George Street. What is happening to Sydney on non school nights? Has Barry O'Farrell's no service after a certain time and pub closure times made any difference? Well did Barry make any positive changes? Not really but he lost a lot of weight during his time as premier.

Back to Easter chilling and how good is the fact you woke on Friday morning and then thought wait I have today, tomorrow, Sunday and Monday to let my hairs down, work for three days and then another three days. Meaning May is going to be a cunt of a month to get through.

I was so happy yesterday (Good Friday) with Hoyts for being open, offering a good $10 flick of the Week in Captain America: The Winter Solider (see review below) and also all the hospitality open around Glebe/City areas. Yes it's nice to chill but for some folk and some smart businesses this is a day to cash in. Employees double time, workplaces can charge a surcharge and face little (to no in some regions) competition. And let's be honest Sydney cafes and restaurants from Thai joints to fine dining, have a lot of competition.

I believe in Easter two things, one if your not into the whole religious thing and you want to make a buck, here is your chance, if you are religious and your religion recognise this holiday good for you, celebrate enjoy just don't try and preach to the un-preachable.

Australia is home to many religions and cultures which I really embrace, it's great for days like these as the non christian religions are all happy to trade as normal and continue as per normal.

For people like me, I am so grateful to all the people who work and allow me to do the things I enjoy but have not had time to over the past few weeks. I have to say thanks to Hoyts, Fountain 77, Dusit Thai Massage and the Thai restaurant on George Street I dined at last night.

I am hoping (even praying) that I can catch a few more films this weekend and here are some of my picks for those on the fence or want something interactive after my rant above:









I am also proud to say I have just smashed all six episodes of the Sundance original program starring our very own Martin Henderson, The Red Road. Very similar to the recent and simply brilliant Secrets & Lies, but still a decent watch:



I am next about to endeavour to smash out the entire Fat Tony & Co series. I know, I know it's basically Underbelly season 1 rehashed but after a slow start to 2014 (mainly due to the high number of reality TV shows on) Aussie drama is finally getting there, with Wentworth Season 2 on the horizon, Love Child just wrapping up and poor old Puberty Blues on Channel Ten coming to an end.

I mean Channel Ten have had some great product but the other channels have just got something over them. Not that I will even give free to air another shot (unless your talking ABC & SBS) but really I am too old for ad's, shitty reality TV and really bad and biased news and current affairs.

So let's put up our feet this Easter, go see a film, catch up on some binge TV viewing or see Strictly Ballroom the Musical.

Until my next film review x

No comments: