Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Where in the devil...


I was asked where in the devil was I yesterday and to be honest crazy Cairns was the answer. I have never visited far north Queensland and the idea only came into my wee little mind to surprise my mother for her big bad 60th.

So it's not my usual weekend of catching a film, enjoying a skim latte with friends and lapping up all this city I live in (Sydney) has to offer. So is there a major difference between Sydney and Cairns?

Hell yes is the easy answer.

With a large amount of Japanese, Chinese and Korean tourists making there way up for reef tours and Americans and Europeans making there way to the top end to experience some warmer Australian weather and of course the reef.

Did I do the reef? Yes was the tour amazing, well yes and no, 90% of my tour spewed whilst I have a bad gut this was one time she decided to behave. The cruise was a little average other than eating and spewing other than diving and snorkelling there were no other activities offered.

It was a nice day and the reef is something else but after doing day trips similar to this overseas it felt a little not up to standard.

The prices up north were way higher than Sydney as I was paying up to $5.10 for a coffee when down here in the "more expensive" state it is easy to get a $3/$3.50 coffee if you know where to go.

Tourists are big business up north and so are pubs and apparently religion. Apparently Cairns is a very religious place for the locals. Speaking of locals it was lovely seeing so many first Australians around and with the tourists it almost felt like multiculturalism worked. Maybe they are lucky enough not to have racist old white ladies swearing at people at packed trains.

Cairns was lovely but three days was a maximum visit, I must say Sydney really is a great place. We have it all, great food and variety, cheap coffee and we have more than one tourist trap.

Australia I have loved seeing Melbourne and Cairns over the past few weeks, where will I end up next? Well all I can say is for today it's off to the pictures, expect a full Film Freak review tomorrow and with this Thursday "Lucy" and "These Final Hours" expect a couple of reviews this weekend.

Until next time, happy tight ass Tuesday...

No comments: