Monday, July 20, 2015

#I'mNotDavidNorMargaret, Film Reviews My Way 2015


Australian movies are hard to come by in 2015 and I was extremely excited about RUBEN GUTHRIE, a great play I saw a number of years ago at Sydney's Belvoir Street Theatre and always thought of fondly.



Now I have to say this first up, I LOVE Robyn Nevin & Alex Dimitriades, they are top notch Aussie talent and Alex D playing a gay too is fab. It took me back to Head On, Oh Head On.

So this play/movie explores Australia's obsession (and I mean obsession) with alcohol and the social suicide of anyone who chooses not to drink.

As a non drinker I have been there done that, when I finally gave up on the drink I gained a better perspective of life. I had a lot more meaningful relationships and I performed a shit load better than a lot of folk I work with on the drink.

So this film is a good Aussie effort, it could be my favourite Aussie film of 2015 (unless Holding the Man is smokin') not that there has been many Aussie films this year. Thanks George Brandis, Minister for the Arts, LOL

So Ruben Guthrie it's a stellar Aussie cast including screen legend Jack Thompson and Jeremy Sims (where on Earth have you been since Chances???) also I can;t forget the lead Ruben Patrick Brammall ABC star of Glitch and Upper Middle Bogan (where he also shares the screen with Nevin).

Ok so easily a 4.25 Star film, why not 4.5? There wasn't enough Alex D. Ruben Guthrie it's a SOLID 4.25 Star film.

No comments: