Sunday, February 12, 2017

Silver Screen in 2017 {Moonlight}


I'm not going to lie, last week Hidden Figures blew my mind now another story from the USA blew my mind and stole my heart.

Moonlight is delightful, it's a great story, well told over three parts, Little, Chiron & Black. Janelle Monae is the common thread between the two wonderful films from late last year.

Trevante Rhodes has another five films on the way after the success of this brilliant film. Rhodes plays Black in the last part of the film where the amazing story comes to an abrupt conclusion.



That would be my only short fall of this film, it's sudden and dramatic ending, other than this the film is a stellar effort, the second from director Barry Jenkins.

The beauty of the film, the tender nature of the story and the three timelines are equally heartbreaking.

I really enjoyed this film as you may be already able to tell, but Marc Fennell from Triple J and the Feed has also done some sweet pieces on the film as below:




I have to say I am extremely disappointed at Hoyts for not screening this film and instead opting for a million sessions of Fifty Shades Darker (which I will consume on Valentine's Day) and not offering diversity, I will take my business elsewhere, even dirty old George Street Event Cinemas.

Apart from this side issue (not at all related to this film) please make sure you see this award winning (with many more to come no doubt) film, it's outstanding. I'm not going easy on films as this is my second big FAT 5 Star film review in 2017. Well done cast, crew and the entire team behind this exceptional film.

No comments: