Friday, January 10, 2020

#SUMMER-BINGE-FEST - The Gloaming


The Gloaming is the third (and final) new series this summer period which landed on Stan on 1 January 2020.

The eight-part drama is set in the beautiful Tasmania, it literally looks a million bucks.

Starring a number of familiar faces, Emma Booth as Molly McGee, Ewen Leslie as Alex O’Connell, Aaron Pedersen as Inspector Lewis Grimshaw and Martin Henderson as Gareth McAveney.

I must say I much preferred this over the Stan drama The Commons. Unfortunately The Commons failed to connect with me, however now I am back at work, I have found some other streamers have actually enjoyed the series.

Briefly the plot, centres around troubled police woman Molly McGee, who leads an investigation into the murder of an unidentified woman. Molly has to team up with Alex O'Connell, a man she hasn't spoken to in 20 years. They discover that the murder has links to a cold case from the past.

It's slightly gothic, it's a long form murder/thriller mystery and it's local.

The Gloaming is already not everyone's cup of tea (I have spoken to) however I thought it was a decent effort from Stan.

Stan have one more release this summer which is actually heading to the cinemas as well. For a limited time, True History of the Kelly Gang will appear at some select cinemas ahead of landing on Stan Australia Day.

It's been a big summer for Stan, honestly a well programmed season. I hope for more originals throughout the year as Stan really needs to shine up against the latest Disney and Apple + streaming services.

You can check out The Gloaming below which I can now say I have binged my way through all eight beautifully shot episodes.

No comments: