Sunday, January 26, 2020

Triple J's Hottest 100, 2019


So I posted a few lists over New Year's, they were my 200 best songs of the year. The songs I liked whilst also being extremely successful either in Australia or across the Globe in Tones & I's case.

This weekend whilst Triple J has unveiled it's Hottest 100 (Hottest 200 on Monday) I have now completed my Best 100 tunes of the past decade.

There is two parts so, for Part One 100-51 click here or Part Two 50-1 go here.

For a recap here is the links to my best 200 songs of 2019 -

1-100, 2019
101-200, 2019

Now a quick reaction to the Hottest 100 for 2019 on Triple J.

So of course Billie Eilish deserved number one, I just thought the first ever female act to top the list would be Australian, most likely from Unearthed? Anyone Tones & I still got a solid three tracks in the countdown. However Billie went off, five tracks in the top 100!

Billie still has a song or two up here sleeve, with my strange addiction missing in action. However clearly releasing everything i wanted in mid November was good scheduling for the countdown voting. It blasted in at number 16! From memory only The Weeknd's current tune Blinding Lights (number one now on my Fresh Friday Countdown) was released after everything i wanted. Hitting the stands on November 29th.

Aussie songs completely slayed with 65% of the first 100 being Australian! Shame my favourites (at present) Northeast Party House missed the boat so far. Here is hoping for some big entries between 101-200 on Monday.

Thelma Plum also made history yesterday, becoming the highest ranking Indigenous Australian artist in Hottest 100 history. Man I remember when her beautiful first track Father Said broke my heart. I remember hearing her voice on the radio thinking, damn she is ace!

G Flip (legend!) and Lime Cordiale also had great days, getting four tunes each in the countdown, however one can not look past Flume. He released an experimental mixtape, joint EP and a few singles last year, however with no full length album he still got so close, he came in at number two.

Rushing Back with Vera Blue from Flume clearly was a dark horse of a tune, I loved it, but did not think it was going to reach number two. I do feel however Lizzo should have been top 10 or at least top 20 with Juice, it came in at 28 with very little airplay on Triple J but a lot of love on sister station Double J.

Speaking of 28, I though 27 Vossi Bop from Stormzy would have been top ten for sure. That tune was massive in April/May upon it's release.

Other thoughts, I just can't wait till Monday, I generally love the 101-200 list, some of my votes are currently missing. Let's hope Charli XCX and Christine and the Queens awesome Gone will be number 101!

No comments: