Monday, January 11, 2021

Return to Cinema 2021 - A Sunburnt Christmas

*STAN original film, now streaming on STAN.

Whilst I didn't love True History of the Kelly Gang STAN film released last year, around this time, A Sunburnt Christmas was my second holiday film I watched of the 2020/2021 holiday period. First I enjoyed a fair bit, The Happiest Season, I thought was a solid four star film.

Sadly I didn't love the local holiday film as much. Whilst it was a different approach to the generic holiday film (much like The Happiest Season) A Sunburnt Christmas had its moments however for me it was missing something.

It had some soul as well a look at Australia's outback and a real life issue, drought. A simple plot description is an outback farm ravaged by drought, the lives of a struggling family are upended when a runaway criminal dressed as Santa Claus crashes onto their property.

The feature is the directorial debut of Christiaan Van Vuuren, formally of the Bondi Hipsters fame.

Telling the story of a single mum (Ling Cooper Tang) and her three children Hazel (Tatiana Goode), Tom (Eaden McGuinness) and Daisy (Lena Nankivell), who live on an outback property in rural South Australia.

Also starring is Blindspot vet Sullivan Stapleton as a mobster named Dingo who chases down Daryl (aka Santa) played by Daniel Henshall. Daryl and the three children do have a cute relationship over the films 90 minute duration.

Look I wouldn't say this is must watch and after seeing the fab The Dry, it's not going to be my best Aussie film of 2021. But this has its moments and sweet messages under the rough exterior. 3 Stars.

No comments: