Sunday, December 9, 2012

Homebake 2012 - Sat 8 Dec 2012


So it was a beautiful summer day in Sydney yesterday as I walked my way across town in one of the most interesting and diverse cities I have been to and now lucky to call home, I listened to tunes on my smartphone that would have made the ultimate festival.  I then arrived at Homebake.

To say my response to Blondie as the lacklustre headliner and the line up in general has been a little negative, it seems to organizers missed the point and missed out on getting the below outstanding Australian acts for 2012:

Missy Higgins
The Temper Trap
360
Lisa Mitchell
Flume
Sarah Blasko
The Rubens
Oh Mercy
Urthboy
The Presets
Bertie Blackman
Flight Facilities

So with that little list I almost thought off the top of my head in 5 minutes I think it was fair to say Homebake 2012 was missing several fantastic acts that shaped the Australian musical landscape in 2012.

The lack of dance acts and high energy acts was a concern at the end of the night as the venue cleared out with strange choices like Tim Minchin on stage doing whatever it is that he does.

So now to the acts I saw and the first being one of the only dance acts it was reformed SONIC ANIMATION who kinda showed that their style really actually may belong left in the 90's.  They played a lot of the hits from their previous albums and one new song which was so so.

Next up was one of the cutest acts for the day, LAST DINOSAURS out of the mighty Brisbane, they have also had a great year so it was good to see them included in the line up.  They played lot's of hits from their debut including "Honolulu", "Andy" and others, the highlight however was their mash up cover of Lady (Hear Me Tonight) & Groovejet (If this Ain't Love).  What a 90's dance moment on the indie Homebake main stage.

Then came my clear highlight for the day HERMITUDE from across the M4 with lot's of bangers from their "Hyperparadise" release.  "Speak of the Devil" with guest dancer was just ace.  This was going to be hard to beat and sadly only at 6:30pm this was to be the best bit of Homebake and the last time I was to get my dance on.

We drifted over to the Dome for some SOMETHING FOR KATE and I pounded the question like Sonic Animation should they have stayed in the 90's?  Their new album needs to have a full listen to from me (maybe tomorrow) before I make up my mind, their set was littered with past hits and memories.

After Something for Kate some of my party decided to call it a night, I decided to give DANIEL MERRIWEATHER a go and it was only halfway through set I then called it a night.  Not that Daniel Merriweather was bad it was just not the vibe you wanted at that time of the evening, I could have been peaking to the sounds of the Presets, or Aston Shuffle from the nations capital, really anything other than poor Daniel playing to around 200 punters wondering where Homebake 2012 went oh so wrong.

Anyway Hermitude were the winners for this year for me, great live set, great energy and I heart their efforts in 2012!

Homebake 2012, please get a better line up next year and have a look around at what Aussies are making it big and give a random 80's international act a miss.

Thanks, 3 just passing, kinda lacklustre stars.

No comments: