Monday, January 7, 2013

What's On @ the Movies - Les Misérables


- Film released in 2012 (Boxing Day Blockbuster)

So I have for a long time thought musicals don't work on the big screen, however the Sapphires, to an extent Pitch Perfect slightly changed my opinion.  Les Misérables sent me back to my original thinking. It was a good movie but it did lack that something that musicals on screen do seem to that live theatre has.

Live theatre is great when done well and when it's not it's bad so a movie can hide all this "bad stuff" as it's not live and heavily edited.  Les Misérables at the theatres would have had an interval which would have been sublime as this film clocks in at 158 minutes! FML!

Now to the actors, old Rusty has copped a lot of criticism, Adam Lambert (when I first heard his hit, "If I had You", I thought it was Mary J Blige or another similar female vocalist) has pubically criticised the actors on Twitter but really it's a fab cast and with so many people in their it's hard to point people out for being amazing and others for being terrible.  Although it's a long movie it doesn't lag (like the Hobbit - or so I hear) it moves along at a real pace and the actors do well to get through all story lines.

The main thing I was hoping for was this does well so the Miss Saigon movie gets green lit, that is truly my favourite musical and as much as this was sad but I really was not that upset by anyone in the movie.

Okay so our hometown star Hugh Jackman was impressive, Anne Hathaway was good, Amanda Seyfried man she has landed on her feet, Rusty so not that bad he was better in the Man with the Iron Fists thought (great film!), Baron Cohen and Bonham Carter were the disappointments for me & the rest of the cast all good.

So this is getting long and my attention span is short so I will sum it up, tomorrow in Sydney = 43 degrees, a movie on Tuesday costs around $11.00, three hours of cheap air con = good value and a pass mark for Les Misérables 3 death filled stars.

No comments: