Monday, January 30, 2017

Silver Screen in 2017 {Jackie}


True sorrow and grief have never been lad out in the raw like in Jackie. I know we have all seen tear jerkers before (hello Lion) but I have never experienced self doubt, loathing of ones self, fear, grief, anger all rolled into one 99 minute film.



It's hard to believe Natalie Portman's career was on a complete road to wreck and ruin with recent efforts in Thor, a bit below par and her last big critical favourite was back in 2010, Black Swan.

Black Swan a cult favourite and the Thor movies are a bit Marvel B Team, rather than The Avenger A Team style and ranking in the Marvel Hollywood ranking system.

Back to Jackie and this film is one I almost missed. Locally in Sydney it was showing at the Dendy (which I dislike) and Event Cinemas. And long time readers will know I dislike George Street cinemas with a passion.

Not only does the City of Sydney/NSW Government want Sydney to look like a war zone and unliveable but George Street cinemas is disgusting.

However props to the young lady working solo who was as sweet as pie, well done love. To the big wigs put more staff on a Sunday morning, surely you're doing well enough to at least have two staff on to deal with a line of twenty.

Ok Jackie. The true sadness and the truth behind what happened on that day in 1963. A woman, she may have been a first lady however a woman/ a wife non the less witnessed her husband being murdered right in front of her.

Dying in her lap, his head so badly shot parts were on the back of the car. Yes this is graphic but true. And never more than now in 2017 with the Trump administration is a film like this more interesting, around the White House and the role of the first lady.

Jackie was glamorous, beautiful, a fan of the arts, a fan of history and Natalie Portman was just 100% beautiful in this film.

I enjoyed this dark and hard journey by a US first lady, heartbreaking and with a pounding score this film touched me. It touched me deep and now I just want to head back into the cinema to see Moonlight. I may have to wait as I have Hidden Figures next Sunday and work all week and weekend. But Moonlight I have you in my eye.

Two films over two days and two extraordinary tales, one true and one an outstanding vision.

4 Stars for this stylish and sensational first lady, Jackie.

No comments: