Wednesday, May 3, 2017

MAY DAY (TV Month): 13 Reasons Why


The most talked about show of 2017 has been reviewed, discussed and written about more than any other Netflix show I can recall. The Guardian had this article on the front page and leading story earlier this week. Multiple news sites have reported on the show and it's graphic and heartbreaking nature. I for one found 13 Reasons Why extremely powerful, heart wrenching and a portrait of the bullshit teenagers are forced through in a modern social media world.

I agree to a degree with some of the reporting on this show however along with the 13 episodes the shows actors and creative team came together for a series wrap show which to me was extremely touching and in a world of Trump and hatred and fear we learn that maybe, just maybe if we were nicer to each other, there would be no 13 reasons why.

The final episode broke my heart, but the series as a whole was one heartbreaking experience, the viewer and Hannah Baker go on one hell of a ride together.

This show in my books was exceptional, I am a little unsure of whether a second series is required, what storyline we are left with? A school shooting? That would be in order after Trump spent his 99th day as president talking to the NRA faithful.

13 Reasons Why is really not everyone's cup of tea, at the heart of the story is a girl pushed to the edge, but if anything the series has opened up the discussion about a tough topic. I had a coworker go through depression and the eventual end of Hannah Baker. He was a sweet, gentle, extremely handsome, fit and capable young man, when I received the call about a younger co-worker I was grief stricken.

I knew him only briefly in person, I dealt with him for a couple of years over email and the brief times I had with this young man he was an extremely kind, caring and talented both professionally and on the sports field.

This show made me think of him and the final struggles he would have faced and how I would NEVER want someone close to me feel so alone, so helpless. So today, maybe reach out to someone, are they OK, let them know you value them.

13 Reasons Why, it shits all over House Rules, The Voice and Masterchef, but what do I know, free to air stations in Australia are now facing a cliff, it's programs this sensational that prove Netflix is a force to reckon with. For $10 a month you get the highest of high quality.

Well done again Netflix, this is brave, fierce TV we need.

No comments: