Saturday, December 28, 2013

What's On @ the Movies 2013 - The Railway Man


Reviews were mixed, and to be honest when I heard about this film I thought what a stinker, but the trailer drew me in and after watching it I wish it didn't. All I heard/read was true Nicole and Colin had about as much chemistry as Tony Abbott and Bill Shorten. I walked out thinking with Nicole Kidman's expressionless face this style of film does not suit her anymore. She is really badly cast in this role and I did read she wasn't the first choice.

Colin Firth to be honest is not great either and this isn't because I have never been a fan of his but this movie just never reaches the great heights the trailer promises of a sweeping big boxing day drama smash. Instead at Broadway cinemas it was in one of the three smallest theatres with a couple of old couples and me being extremely underwhelmed by what could be a great film.

An English/Australian co production filmed in both Queensland and Thailand is only a pass mark for me and for the target audience this is directed at I would take Philomena any day over this half cooked drama, don't let the below trailer mislead you:



I give it 2.5 stars, mainly for the scenery and the flashback scenes, the present day part of the film is kind of shit.

Not the Boxing Day smash at all, still for Boxing Day my pick: Philomena - review HERE

No comments: