Tuesday, August 25, 2015

#I'mNotDavidNorMargaret, Film Reviews My Way 2015


After seeing the Fault in Our Stars, comes another Teen Cancer Coming of Age film, ME & EARL & THE DYING GIRL. Released at Sundance in January and in the US in June I saw a preview screening here in Australia prior to it's release early next month.



I have little to no respect for films held back from release in Australia after being screened in the US for months, it's no wonder piracy is alive and well. Hello worldwide release dates.

It's 2015 and this is still an issue, I'm bored already so onto the film.

Not as obvious a heart string puller as the previous film I mentioned the Fault in Our Stars but still covers a lot of the same ground. Sad but true the last to films have covered similar ground. Southpaw was similar to the Fighter and any other boxing film and this even could be compared a little to My Sisters Keeper.

This said Earl aka Ronald Cyler II is brilliant! And Molly Shannon isn't half bad either, however Ronald steals the show BIG time. So impressed by this guy and apparently he is coming to a HBO screen near you soon. Can't wait to see more of this kid, his comic timing is beyond brilliant.

That said I found bits of this film irritating and drawn out. Don't get me wrong I usually get totally moist for an awkward coming of age film however this was was average at best however had real heart so I will give it 3 Stars. It was above average with heart but lacked originality.

No comments: